If you like to sew, the blind-friendly sewing kit has everything you need to sew independently. It comes as part of our Laundry Starter Pack, one of our most popular products, which also includes 25 two-hole buttons to tag your clothing with WayAround.
The blind-friendly sewing kit includes a pack of self-threading needles, a cork, and invisible thread. Keep reading for a description of each item. We’ll also give you step-by-step instructions for how to use it.
Self-threading needles: These easy-to-thread needles have a notch at the top of the needle that allows you to pull the thread down through the top into the eye. The pack of six includes short, medium, and long needles. Size 4/8.
Cork: The tapered cork is wide and stable, not tall and skinny like a wine bottle cork. The top diameter is 2.25 inches and the bottom diameter is 2 inches. The cork is 1.5 inches tall. Made from 100% natural cork.
Invisible Thread: This polyester invisible thread from Sulky works for hems, baby blankets, and garments. It is soft, and because it is 100% polyester, it will not melt with normal ironing on the cotton setting.
25 WayTag Two-hole Buttons: The WayTag 2-hole buttons can be sewn directly into your garments. They are about the size of a quarter. Like all of our WayTag buttons, they are heat-rated and waterproof, so they can withstand going through the washer and dryer.
Now that you know what’s included in the Laundry Starter Pack, here’s how we recommend using it:
- Place the wider base of the cork on a table or flat surface.
- Choose the appropriate size and weight of needle for your garment. Stick the sharp end into the cork, so it stands straight up. The needle has a small opening at the top, where the thread can slide in.
- Cut a length of invisible thread. Pull the thread taught, and slide it down at the top of the needle. Once it is in the needle’s eye, it should stay in place.
- Double the thread and knot the ends.
- You’re ready to get stitching!
The WayTag two-hole button and thread can both safely go through the washer and dryer without melting or damaging the technology. By the way, if sewing isn’t your thing, our WayTag oval hole buttons can be attached to garments with a safety pin.
Subscribe today for more WayAround tips and tricks!
Want to get tips, tricks, and news from WayAround delivered directly to your inbox? Subscribe today to get the latest! We will never spam you, and you can unsubscribe at any time.